According to Nintendo’s financial results for the quarter ended June 2022, the gaming giant saw a drop in hardware sales and software sales. The Japan-based company also reported a decline in operating profit by 15.1% to 101.6 billion yen (approximately $760 million), but the net profit was up by 28.3%, with a total value of 118.9 billion yen (nearly $890 million).
Related: Nintendo to acquire Dynamo Pictures
The gaming giant reported 307.5 billion (about $2.3 billion) in net sales. The company’s forecast for the year is reported as 1.6 trillion yen (about $12 billion).
According to Nintendo’s financial report for Q1, Switch hardware sold an estimated 3.43 million units in the three months ending June 30, 2022, making its total sales 111.08 million worldwide.
The earnings report shows a 22.9% year-over-year decline in the number of units sold, but Nintendo assured listeners that the primary reason for the decline is “supply shortages in semiconductors and other components,” however, the company also said other factors were also at play.
Considering how both PlayStation bosses at Sony and Xbox bosses at Microsoft both reported a decline in their gaming divisions, Nintendo’s drop shouldn’t come as a surprise.
Top 10 best-selling Nintendo Switch exclusive games
The report shows Mario Kart 8 Delux as the best-selling first-party Nintendo Switch title with 46.82 million copies. Animal Crossing: New Horizons follows after with 39.38 million units sold, and in third place comes Super Smash Bros. Ultimate with 28.82 million. Nintendo also said over 863.59 million Switch games have been sold worldwide so far.
Per Nintendo’s official post, the top 10 best-selling first-party Switch titles as of June 2022 are:
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 46.82 million
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 39.38 million
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 28.82 million
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 27.14 million
- Pokemon Sword / Pokemon Shield – 24.50 million
- Super Mario Odyssey – 23.93 million
- Super Mario Party – 18.06 million
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Pokemon Shining Pearl – 14.79 million
- Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! / Pokemon: Let’s Go, Eevee! – 14.66 million
- Ring Fit Adventure – 14.54 million